Longer evenings are here.
During the summer we open the doors and windows to let the light & Breeze in. But it’s important to keep the burglars out.
You should never leave windows open during the night if they can easily be used to gain access.
Remember also to lock your doors properly as it may void your insurance policy and you will not be able to make a claim should the worst happen and you are burgled.
- Think about leaving a radio on talk station so it sounds like someone is at home.
- Make sure your doors are double locked all day especially when you are in the back garden
- A Visible alarm box make burglars think twice – make sure you switch them on when you go out.
- Lock garages and sheds
- Be alert to strangers loitering in the street. If you don’t recognise them or they are acting suspiciously, call the police on 101.
- Police also suggest using prickly plants around the fence line to deter access.
- Install passive security lighting.
- Mark tools bicycles with a a UV Pen using your postcode and house number
If you don’t have an alarm it might be a good time to think about getting one installed.
Another option is to get some IP CCTV cameras which alert you when they are activated and send a message to your phone.